Family & Matrimonial
Most people find they need family law advice at some stage of their lives.
Family law is unique. It involves the most important things in your life – your relationship, your children, your home and your belongings. Disputes, whether they involve property, separation or children are often emotionally charged and complex.
Our team specialises in family law. We know how important your case is and respond appropriately, listening to you and tailoring our approach to achieve the best possible outcome. And while our family lawyers focus solely on family law, they are able to draw on the knowledge of other experts in the firm in areas such as family trusts, wills, property and company issues. Unlike specialty firms who deal only with family law, we are able to handle all aspects of your family law matter "in house" without needed to refer you to different solicitors if further work is required (for example, if a house is sold or a trust needs to be dismantled).
We will provide you with expert advice, expressed clearly and simply so that it is easy for you to understand. We know how important your case is and we respond appropriately, working with you, listening to you and tailoring out approach to achieve the best possible outcome.
Many of our clients come to see us at a crisis point of their lives, for example when their relationship has broken up, or their 'ex' is proposing to move out of town with their children, or a relative has died and they have been cut out of the will.
Increasingly, clients are also approaching us when all is going well, such as when a new relationship is being entered into. Typically, they want to know where they stand legally and take positive steps to plan for the future.
Whatever the circumstances, we can assist. We keep up to date with the latest legal developments and have the hands-on knowledge and expertise that comes from dealing with family law cases on a day to day basis.
We are committed to providing prompt, efficient service, sympathetic but commercially realistic advice and complete confidentiality.
Wherever possible, we try to obtain early resolution of disputes, encouraging clients to explore alternative and cost effective methods of settlement. Through this process, we will advise you fully of your options and allow you to elect what suits you best. Where negotiation proves impossible or is not the best tactical approach, we have the benefit of many years experience in conducting Court cases and obtaining the best results for clients in litigation. We understand that litigation can be a stressful process and our family lawyers will guide you through this, keeping you informed and ensuring you are well prepared.
Our comprehensive family law services include:
Before or during your Relationship
- Referrals to counselling
- Advice about "where you stand"
- Future planning using property agreements/trusts/wills
- Contracting out agreements (sometimes referred to as 'pre-nuptial' agreements).
If you are breaking up
- Referrals to counselling
- Advice about "where you now stand"
- Working out arrangements for your property division, financial support and your children
- Representing you in negotiations, mediation or through the Court
- Drafting and certifying relationship property agreements
- Transferring property as agreed between you
- "Trust-busting" and creating new trusts if you wish to do so
- Dissolution of marriage / divorce
- Disputes over care arrangements, contact with your children and other issues
- Child abduction and Hague convention
- Child support
- Providing you with advice about protection orders and police safety orders
- Obtaining or defending protection orders
- Referrals to programmes
Wills and Estates
- Advice about wills
- Disputes over wills and trusts
- Family Protection Act and Testamentary Promises Act claims